As I sit here at my desk listening to the familiar THUMP, THUMP, THUMP of campers’ feet, optimism grows inside me!
The colorful art on the walls.
The giggles throughout the halls.
The thank you notes from artists and arts organizations displayed on my office door.
All gentle reminders to be appreciative of the joy and beauty surrounding us be it on our exhibit walls, the masks of our campers, or in the hearts of art lovers on Third Friday. Our building is coming alive again because the generosity of arts advocates like YOU.
Thank you for supporting the arts, artists, and arts organizations during the COVID-19 pandemic! Because of past gifts from people like you, DAC was able to remain vigilant in our mission to create a vibrant community through the arts even when our only means to do so was virtually.
As we continue to recover from the devastating and on-going impact of the pandemic, please consider giving to Durham Arts Council. Undoubtedly, the road back will be long and not without setbacks, but today my heart is light with hope for the future of the arts in Durham.
Will you help us re-stART the arts?
Your amazing support helped DAC have major IMPACT in the FY21 pandemic year!
You helped Durham Arts Council:
- TRIPLE our grant support for artists and arts organizations over previous years. $700,000+ granted already!
- Raise over $105,000 through the DAC Arts Recovery Fund to provide emergency relief grants to artists and arts organizations impacted by Covid-19 in Durham.
- Develop FOUR new grant programs to stabilize and support arts organizations and artists in Durham.
- Ensure equitable distribution of funds with a focus on BIPOC artists and BIPOC led arts organizations in our community.
- Spearhead Big Night In for the Arts, along with three other Triangle-area arts councils and WRAL TV to raise over $350,000 in artist, arts organization, and arts programming support.
- Pivot to redesign DAC Arts Education Programs for Virtual Delivery and limited in-person programs as pandemic conditions improved
- DAC School – delivered 312 classes for 828 youth and adult students (normal year is 715 classes, 6,999 students)
- CAPS – delivered 199 virtual CAPS arts integration programs to 18,276 students at Durham Public Schools and in other counties (normal year is 29,000 students)
- Create a Virtual CenterFest 2020 broadcast featuring 22 performing artists and 60 visual artists, plus curbside pick-up of art purchases.
- Redesign our Gallery Exhibit Programs for Virtual and Scheduled In-Person Experiences– featured 88 artists in 7 exhibits with 765 virtual visits and 242 onsite visits.
- Implement extensive facility cleaning protocols, specialized equipment, and facility retrofits to meet CDC guidelines for protection from Covid-19
- Design and launch a vibrant new DAC Logo and Website
- And we Successfully kept DAC financially afloat thanks to generous DONORS like you; plus securing of key federal loans and grants, some staff furloughs and salary cuts for one year
With renewed optimism for a vibrant future,
Sherry L. DeVries
Durham Arts Council
I’d love to hear from you!
Our Contact Information
About the Durham Arts Council
The Durham Arts Council is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and local arts agency dedicated to supporting the arts in Durham and the entire Triangle Region in North Carolina and has served the community since 1954. Each year DAC serves over 400,000 visitors and program participants, over 2,000 artists, and more than 300 arts and cultural organizations through classes, artist residencies, exhibits, festivals, grants programs, technical support, creative economy initiatives, arts advocacy, and information services.
Durham Arts Council, Inc. is a catalyst in the cultural development of Durham – it leads, inspires, and promotes excellence in and access to the creation, experience, and active support of the arts for all the people of our community. For more information call 919.560.ARTS(2787) or visit our website at www.durhamarts.org.