Director of Development and Communications
Durham Arts Council- Director of Development and Communications
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications is a senior level position that is responsible for planning, developing, managing, implementing, and growing a comprehensive fundraising and communications effort to support the Durham Arts Council. Development strategies include building relationships and increasing funds from all areas of contributed revenue including government support, foundation grants, corporate and individual giving, major gifts, planned giving, special events, sponsorships and in-kind support. Communications includes guiding and driving institutional marketing and public relations to engage diverse audiences, constituents, and supporters, ensuring that DAC’s mission and value is clear and embraced in the community. In addition, this person will represent DAC as an engaged member of the community and serve on the organization’s leadership team. Supervises Development & Communications Coordinator.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Fundraising and Special Events:
· Develops and implements a comprehensive development plan to ensure the organization’s achievement of annual contributed revenue goals of approximately $2.2 to $2.5 million annually (70% cash and 30% in-kind) through government grants, City support, foundation grants, corporate and individual giving, major gifts, planned to give, special events, sponsorships, and in-kind support. Personally, initiates and drives all aspects of the individual, corporate, special event and sponsorship campaigns currently totaling approx. $500,000 with plans for multi-year growth. Supports CEO and other department heads in securing and monitoring major government, program and operational grants that are part of the overall annual goal.
· Researches, develops, and stewards relationships with donors and grant institutions in coordination with executive leadership.
· Oversees the effective management and organization of DAC development and communication files, systems, and databases.
· Fosters a positive understanding of and support for philanthropy within organization.
Public Relations and Marketing:
· Creates and maintains a public relations and communications plan to keep major audiences, supporters, and the media aware of DAC programs, events, services, and roles in the community – including annual impact report, news releases, media placement, e-newsletter, advertising, publications, social media, and website. (Various departments help prepare or provide content.)
· Supervises the Development & Communications Coordinator and supports DAC staff, contractors and/or agencies in communications plan implementation, ensuring consistent design, branding and “DAC voice” in all promotional materials.
Education and Certifications:
B.A. or B.S. college degree required. Master’s degree or CFRE preferred.
Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible fund development and communications experience. Proven track record of planning, directing, managing and implementing a comparable successful non-profit fundraising, special events, and communications program is required. Arts background and related arts fundraising experience helpful.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. Salary hiring range is $66,000 – $78,000 depending on experience and qualifications. DAC offers an excellent benefits package for full time employees.
DAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DAC is committed to Diversity, Equity, Access, and inclusion. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.
The provisions of this job description are based upon and are to be compatible with existing legislation, by-laws, goals and objectives, and personnel policies governing Durham Arts Council, Inc. Durham Arts Council serves a diverse community, and highly values a diverse staff and board. DAC is committed to workplace equity through ongoing learning, discussion, investment in training, and continual recommitment to our core values. Our organization considers applicants equally of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, age, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.
To apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development & Communications in subject line. No phone calls please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of February 28, 2023. The position will remain open until filled.
More information on the Durham Arts Council is available at www.durhamarts.org
More information about Durham, North Carolina is available at http://www.durham-nc.com/
Durham Arts Council * 120 Morris St.* Durham, NC 27701
For the full job description please click —-here.